Tuesday, April 16, 2013

You Touched My Family

      April 15, 2013 is marked in my memory now and forever as someone or some group assaulted my family on my homeland. I was in shock that evening and still processing and grieving the next morning as it was not a nightmare it was real all over the front pages. I have read many post and blogs, mine will resound the same sentiment that runners are a very tight knit family. I have crossed that finish line twice, my family has stood on those very streets. Pain number one panic where are my personal friends that were up there that day, fortunately all safe. Pain number two fear that could have been my family, my wife still tears up because recognizes the landmarks and walk those sidewalks now splattered with blood like a war zone. Pain number three grief as I realize the casualty is an eight year old boy and a woman cheering family members. I compared this to the day I lost my sister and her family the day started with so much joy and excitement of near perfect weather and an exciting elite race to end dark with terror.
      Pride brings light to the darkness, as police, volunteers and runners ran towards the explosion to aid the injured and the medical tent instantly went from aid station to emergency triage. This act in itself I am sure minimized the fatalities, brotherly love overcame self preservation. The fortitude of runners was all over the media as seventy eight year old Bill Iffrig got up after being knocked down by the blast and with the aid of the volunteers crossed the finish line second in his age group. The love of my friends and family as my social media and cell phone were overloaded with messages and calls making sure I was not in Boston and OK if I was. There is more good and love in this country than there is evil.
      Anyone that has ran a marathon or other endurance race will tell you about bond that is formed with your competitors and the spectators. I experienced this at Boston last year as we raced in record high temperatures and fellow racers shared ice and popsicles along with coaching and encouragement. The spectators aided with ice, refreshments and spray from garden hoses cheering me like a best friend or family. These are things you don't forget and brings the tragedy of someone hurting these people so much closer. I know the runners like Bill will get up and run again and Boston will be there next year better and safer than ever. 

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Peter. Such a sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Peter,

    I have also cheered from the sidelines at these runs, so I have seen the energy and the bond they create. It is something special — and beautiful — that no terrorism can take away.

    You are so strong! I admire your faith and your devotion to your family, friends and fellow runners.

    It is a huge relief that you, Debbie and the kids are safe. Words are hard to find, but please know that we are thinking of you, as we were on Easter and the day of the marathon.

    All my love!

    ReplyDelete