Thursday, June 30, 2011

How Fast is Fast

      Blazing fast, lightning fast, Usain Bolt fast, Ryan Hall fast or Kara Goucher fast! We all compare ourselves to someone or something. I believe fast is a perception, I am fast in many peoples eyes. My perception is not until I win a major event or age group of a national event is it fair to call me fast. Fast is how life goes by and why we really need to appreciate everyday as a gift. The last six months have made me realize this more than any time in my life.
      I started the year in training for the Boston Marathon logging miles of an elite athlete in Ohio's unpredictable winter weather. Spring arrived and the weather did not improve but I had persevered and was a much stronger runner for it. April arrived along with spring like weather making conditions near perfect for a marathon. Boston set me up for the realization that there are bigger races out there with a finish in the top twenty percent overall and age group. I came back to Ohio a much stronger athlete, mentally and physically to run the Cleveland Marathon and finish top ten in my age group. This race was a success in many ways first that I ran it with a heavy heart over the loss of my sister and her family on Easter Sunday, I qualified for New York Marathon and finished very close to the three hour mark.
      Many talented people have lost their most crucial connection: the connection to where they want to be next. Instead of focusing on their future, they get stuck on where they are now or where they've been. I focus on the dedication to today and my goals for the future. This year has brought many challenges in the first six months but holds much promise for the last half. I look forward to coaching others to realize their potential and finding my own potential to prove to others that it can be done. Leadership is easiest from the front so as fast as I am today my goal is to be faster tomorrow; those that are following will be also.
      Today is a blessing, tomorrow is the future and God is responsible for both.

2 comments:

  1. There are guys my age (37) running 3:50 miles and 12:54 5k (Lagat) and 2:05 Marathons (Geb), so I'm with you in that I can't "look in a mirror" and call myself fast. Maybe compared to my co workers or your typical late 30s guy, but not in the world of serious running. But still, I'm happy with what I've done and where I've come from. It's all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Peter! Best wishes as you continue your journey!

    ReplyDelete