Monday, May 2, 2011

Oh Lord, before these feet of mine

      I pose this question: What is real?
      Most have heard about the tragedy in my life last week, I will give a few details so people understand. I come from a family with eight children circumstances had it with economics and careers my parents had two sets of four. My parents both started their careers as teachers and were blessed with four daughters. School districts consolidated and the demand for agriculture teachers went from four area schools to one high school my dad made a career change into the manufacturing field. Seven years passed and they still desired a son my dad had become established so they tried and were blessed with me. I still don't know if I was that much of a hand full but after my birth my mom retired from teaching and stayed at home to keep the order in the house. My sister, brother and youngest sister completed the second four three years after the oldest graduated from high school.
      My sister Paula who died in the Easter Sunday accident along with her husband and twin sons was the youngest of the four older girls. She was there as I was growing up and we had a special bond not to mention she moved back to the area after college. She was the one I could go to with the high school stuff I didn't think my parents would understand. She married and had kids I would baby sit my nieces and nephew and I was the god father for two of them. She separated from her husband about the same time my first marriage failed. She always listened even though she was facing her own giants we saw each other through a lot. She re-married a couple years after I did and the twins were born the same year as my daughter. Now you understand why I was named as her emergency contact and is why the state troopers came to my door.
      The question I posed at the beginning I wish the news that the troopers gave me wasn't real and that I didn't have to be the one to go tell my parents and family. I have touched on it in previous blog that I try to live up to my name (Peter-the rock) that is probably why my wife and close friends were so concerned about me. I mustered my strength and did what had to be done including going to the hospital to identify the bodies.I took one of my older sisters with me knowing that this was like no task I had ever taken on. I reached out to my friends one a co-worker and the other a fellow runner and their prayers must have worked because I found the strength to complete the task. A friendship is real when without hesitation you reach out not thinking of who to call it was an instant decision. The call to Melodie she informed the running community and the love and prayers poured in. I am friends with many on Daily Mile and many I have never met if two weeks ago you asked me if virtual friends are real friends I may not of had an answer. Today with out hesitation I will tell you that these are real friends almost family. Through the bond of running the amount of thoughts and prayers I received were overwhelming. The love I receive from my Daily Mile family is real and God had put it in place when I joined nine months ago not sure I would be as strong without these people. I have a race to win it is the race of life and many friends to do it with. Thank you everyone for all of your love and support.
    

5 comments:

  1. Peter, you were there to offer words of condolence and support when I lost my Mom back in February. As you said in your blog, we have never met in person but, I consider you a great friend. I pray you find peace, and continue to remember the special times you had with your Sister. We are all here for you and will continue to be by your side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there were perfect words that could help heal the pain, but there never will be. Luckily, you are surrounded by many people who love you and will glady wrap their arms around you, and help carry you. Peter, you are a rock, and a wonderful friend to many...you will never be alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has to be one of the most amazing life stories I have ever read. What a treasure you are to your family. They must be incredibly proud of you. I never had a brother (my baby brother was stillborn 35 years ago and I have an adopted sister, since 1 month of age, whom I struggle to get along with due to her constant rebellion--which is getting better as she approaches 40, but still!) If I did have a brother, I'd want him to be just like you. God bless you and your family during this most difficult and trying life challenge. And yes, your running family loves you and are praying for peace and comfort for your family.
    Deb Michel & family

    ReplyDelete