Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Boston Experience

        I would have to describe my Boston experience as bitter sweet. I missed my goal by a huge margin didn't even set a PR. The race is like no other I have run when I line up at a race in the Midwest I am at the front of the pack not five thousand people in front of me. The support from the surrounding communities was amazing days leading up to and race day. The race lived up to everything I read and heard including the part it's not a race to run your fastest. I can say I was there when the fastest world and American times were run on one of the toughest courses I've run.
       Race day started at forty degrees Fahrenheit with a west wind (wind at the runners back) I stuck to plan and kept the first ten kilometers easy, this was somewhat forced by the crowd of runners in front of me. I picked up the pace and hit the half way mark on perfect pace to finish sub three hours. I used a little different hydration plan I normal do Gatorade the whole race but went with honey stingers gels every four mile and water at the stops. I started to feel the fatigue at mile sixteen and by the time I ran through Newton Falls hills I was walking every mile or so. I started to take Gatorade but sixty degrees and sun beating down on me took its toll. I was walking every half mile the last ten kilometers. I pushed thru and finished running to the finish line in three hours eighteen minutes eighteen seconds. I was making my way through the finish area and got water and my plastic blanket and started to become light headed.
       I headed back to the nearest medical attendant and collapsed into her wheel chair this began my medical tent experience at Boston. The experience even including the indignity of having my temperature taken rectally was better than I could have ever imagined. I had several doctors, a nurse, a sport medicine specialist and other people attending to me. They started with Gatorade to rehydrate and beef bouillon for sodium for the leg cramps. When I couldn't hold that down I got blood work and inter venous fluids started, the sports doctor was there to stretch out the cramps every time I got them. They had me back on my feet in a couple hours like the whole Boston experience it was unbelievable.
      Finally a huge thank you to my wife who made the trip to Boston to support me and my nephew who escorted her around Boston. They were at they half at Wellesley then made it back to wait for me at the family meeting area. Overall this was a great experience the reception by the community and all the congratulations I got from total strangers, this is not just another race. The drive to do the world majors is just getting that much stronger and I will come back to Boston. To finish in the top five thousand and top five hundred in my age group was short of my goal but very respectable when I saw the caliber of runners that make it to Boston.


  1. Glad you are okay! Sounds like some tough conditions out there! Congrats on running Boston!


  2. Just imagine how boring it would be if we met all of our goals the first try? The thrill of achievement when we do, would not be as great and there would be so much less to work for. I'm sure your experience from this race will certainly help you meet your goals next time. In the meantime, I hope you know you are awe inspiring to us slow-pokes! :-)

  3. Sounds like some tough hurdles you faced - you understate what you accomplished in just being able to push through and finish under such conditions - great perseverance!